Thursday, August 26, 2010

3,016

The Fair started today. For those who might be interested, yes, they do have a fireworks display the night before the Fair starts. That means it will be 13 consecutive nights where early to bed isn't a very reliable strategy because there are going to be bombs bursting in air at around 10:30 or so.

But actually, I don't mind. I like the Fair. I like the change that it brings to the neighborhood for those 12 days every year. The Fair is good.

It was still cool overnight so today I did something I haven't done in a long time. I delayed the ride until after lunch to wait for warmer temperatures. Today's ride was an afternoon ride.

And a big milestone on the yearly quest was achieved. I finished today's ride with 3,016 miles for the year to date. I looked at the bike log and the numbers indicate 1,014 miles in the last 47 days. I feel strong, I feel good.

Today's ride was really JRA (just riding around) wearing the rubber off the tires. I rode over to the edges of the Fair to reacquaint myself with what is still possible over there and what needs to be avoided. I rediscovered the Saint Anthony Park detour around the Fairgrounds and proceeded on my way down into a south wind. But I wasn't going ANYWHERE. I was JRA. It was a nice day and a nice way to spend a couple of hours on a spectacularly pleasant afternoon.

I ended up in our old neighborhood and rode past the Emily tree. It is an ash but it still looks pretty good. I planted that tree and I planted that hedge in the back yard too.Speaking of TCWUTH she came by yesterday and inspected her new dishes. She declined to take possession, however, requesting that we run them through our dishwasher first. She has no dishwasher. It is an entirely reasonable request and TOPWLH has already accomplished that task. There was also some discussion of acquisition of a few additional pieces.

Usually on our vacation to Michigan we see lots of cardinal flowers on the rides out into southern Ottawa County, aka New South Wales. For one reason or another I only saw a few this year so when I rode past this rainwater runoff catch basin garden I noticed.I stopped and got a photo. An observant viewer may notice commercial activity going on in the background. There is visible evidence of neighborhood residents parking, for a handsome fee, the cars of Fair attendees in their yards. This a traditional activity in the neighborhood near the Fair and it is one of the ways that the neighborhood changes for the Fair and it is one of the things that entertains me about the whole 12 day extravaganza.

3,016 is a lot.

2 comments:

santini said...

3016! 75% 47 more days? Mid October?

Strong numbers.

Emily M said...

Glad to see my tree is still doing well. I hope it survives the Emerald Ash Borer invasion. If not = :( It is looking good so far though.

I'll be over this evening before the Fair to take those dishes of your hands.

That is an impressive mileage number - do you have your car beat for the year, yet?