Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A tiny bit of a nip

Obviously enough 65 should be and is plenty reasonable. But after all the recent riding in temperatures 15 to 25 degrees north of there, today's 65 left me riding in what I am a little chagrined to admit was a state just a few shades short of comfortable. There was a tiny bit of a nip in the air today.

I rode in the morning with a Guest Rider, stopped when she stopped, had lunch, and finished up the two hour ride by recycling when the temperatures had reached 70. Truth? Still a little brisk when riding into the north wind.

I feel spoiled by summer, what is still coming is so much less pleasant. *sigh* Is it really already time to start digging into the drawer with the "gear"? Do I already have to start adding arm warmers, and base layers, and all of the other stuff? *sigh*

The Fair starts tomorrow and I rode over to sneak a peak. They have new things every year and this deal is new. I suspect it is some sort of wind power demonstration project but the truth is I don't have any actual idea. That upright deal is a blade from a wind turbine. That's just one blade, so if you have a turbine in, for example, a wind farm off shore in Lake Michigan, the tower needs to be more than twice that height just to get the blades up out of the water. Just saying.Mostly I avoided the Fair but even riding around the neighborhood there are lots of signs of the crowds about to descend upon the near northern suburbs. Here is a harbinger of the Fair in Renee's back yard. From the spot where I took this picture I only had to turn my head and I could actually see her house.I took this picture at another spot which will be serving the same purpose. This spot was the one closest to my home. Turn your head a little sideways and you can see.A little too cold today but it is always, always, hot, hot, hot for at least part of the Fair so summer isn't quite over yet.

1 comment:

gfr said...

It seems like a nice enough ride, and a brief introduction to what will likely be 'normal' in just a few weeks.

Wind turbines on Lake Michigan?