Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Poor decision

The front window steamed up this morning, never a good sign. It looked too hot out there and the usual reliable weather reporters all said too hot our there. But looking out the window I noticed that there were men working. OK, it is only a survey crew, but men were taking readings and setting monuments for the new softball field.I went and stood in the driveway for a bit and there was a slight breeze. I convinced myself that it wasn't any worse than yesterday.

Anyone who lives in this climate and who is determined to be physically active throughout the summer is occasionally going to make a decision that ends up being just plain wrong.

I started to ride and it felt hot, hot enough that I immediately adopted the accelerated hydration schedule. Most of the time when I drink more water it is a decision I make after being on the bicycle for a while. Today it seemed like a good idea right straight out of the garage.

Still, it wasn't going that badly. I could see this thing above the tree line from over a mile away so I had to ride over to HarMar to get a close up look.Eventually my meanderings led me through the Fairgrounds. There is an awful lot of activity over there. I usually ride through mostly deserted streets but as the Fair approaches there are work crews at several locations. Most notable are a major addition to the Dino's Gyros building and the now nearly complete conversion of the Saint Bernard's Dining Hall into O'Gara's. All of the Pronto Pup trailer stands have been placed around the grounds, all of the various wooden figures which several years ago sprouted where there used to be elm trees have received a fresh coat of paint. There is major new landscaping at the Sheep Barn, Fairgoers may notice that a couple of the major north-south streets leading up towards Machinery Hill from the main area of the grounds have received new pavement.

Today's data:

EG:95 CB:86 WG:93

As usual, the cattle barn reading is assumed to be most accurate as it is the one which is closest to in agreement with all of the other reports I have seen.

I was completely out of water at 16 miles. It is best when riding in conditions like today to know your potential water sources and to plan accordingly. All of the parks in the suburb where I live have buildings but the buildings are staffed only in the winter as warming houses for the skating rinks. The buildings are not open and the water is not turned on. In contrast, down in the big city all of the buildings have summer recreation programs, staff, open doors, and running water.

Here is the scene at Langford Park at the 16.5 mile mark of today's ride.I thoroughly hydrated and filled up only the one bottle, thinking one should get me home. It did get me home but I note for the record that I was completely out of water again at the 23.5 mile mark.

Riding my bicycle today was a poor decision. But I am home safe, I feel pretty good. I guess it ends up that it was fun.

1 comment:

santini said...

Mad dog? Or Englishman?