Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Out of the neighborhood

The predicted sunny skies and 80 had not arrived by 1pm but once the sun managed to poke through the overcast I started out. The sky was still almost completely overcast and seemed to remain that way as I rode north. I rode for about 45 minutes before I began to see what I had been feeling happening behind me even as I rode. The sky cleared southwest to northeast. I couldn't see it happening, it was behind me, but I could feel the heat of the sun on my back and see my shadow as I rode. The way ahead remained resolutely grey almost all the way to the Shoreview water tower.

The sun WAS out in Shoreview though. Most or maybe even all of the miles I have ridden since I got back from France have been done in loops near home. I ride a ways north, circle back past home and ride a ways south, not wanting to get too far from home in questionable weather conditions. Today in Shoreview was a nice day, a nice enough day to persuade me to push on for the first trip out of the neighborhood on bicycle in over a month.

The water level of Snail Lake is still pretty low but last year at this time you could see the sand bar at the end of the public access site. The project to allow water to flow between Snail Lake and Sucker Lake has been completed and it has rained a bunch. Snail Lake is nearing full recovery.It was pretty today at Snail Lake. I spotted no sign of the recently reported bobcat.

I did see signs that there appear to be some kids living near Snail Lake who have plentiful supplies of both sidewalk chalk and time. They are out to create an epic game of hopscotch. The squares run all the way to the top of the hill in both directions, probably something over a quarter of a mile.They have a sign posted that says that this is Minnesota's largest hopscotch and that their goal is 10,000 squares. Good luck, kids.

I haven't been out to these lakes for over a month but some things never change. Guess what, guess where.Lake Vadnais was pretty but what really struck me today was how good it smells. Anyone visiting Vadnais should do so by bicycle, not by car. The road is one way and traveling in the car legal south to north direction you just wouldn't get the same impact that you get traveling north to south on a bicycle. You turn off the county road and enter the park and it smells just like Itasca County.LOOK at Lake Vadnais.

Today's unpublished photo is Palais Borbon. Built in the 18th century, the palace is now the meeting place of the Assemblée Nationale, the lower house of the French parliament.Here is some more information about the Arago line. Someone named Chris Molloy has done pretty extensive research on the medallions and their locations. Here is a link to his Google Maps data on all locations.

I think that may qualify as a GIS layer.

2 comments:

Santini said...

Snail and Vadnais are looking beautiful. I can't really remember what Itasca County smells like.

Santini said...

FWIW, Hopscotch has 10 squares. More than that, and it isn't hopscotch.