Monday, June 7, 2010

Not weeds

I don't feel sick before I start riding but I sure feel less than well when I finish. I think the issue is that I am still producing what seems to me to be a prodigious amount of mucous. Clearly that much stuff means that I am processing oxygen at something less than optimum efficiency. A two hour bicycle ride qualifies pretty easily as an endurance sport. Success in an endurance sports is greatly dependent upon efficent processing of oxygen.

This cold is STILL wearing me out.

This is the flower yard in my neighborhood. Before I went to France all of this stuff looked pretty indistinguishable from weeds.It doesn't look anything at all like a field of weeds anymore.

I found this at the Fairgrounds. I have never raced a bicycle but I do ride quite a bit and I am not brain dead. Therefore I know that USA Cycling is the sanctioning body for amateur racing and that the lowest level of racing is category 5.It turns out that the Category 6 Racing Squad is a local group of people who according to their web site, "don’t really want to race, (they) just want to be racers." So they are sponsoring their own racing series. Furthermore, they have a cause. They race for bone density awareness. I am not making this up.

Here is previously unpublished photo from Day 2. This is the French unknown soldier memorial located beneath the Arc d'Triomphe.Here lies a French solider who died for his country.

3 comments:

Emily M said...

Well done, Category 6 Racing Squad. Although does that mean that they are the racer boys on the river road? Oh well, at least it's for a good cause.

Good luck with the cold. I am still having a minor mucous problem myself.

lazerquest said...

Bone density is no laughing matter. Cyclists are especially at risk for low bone density compared to other athletes.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/01/is-bicycling-bad-for-your-bones/

Perhaps rainy days off the bike need to be jump-rope days?

Retired Professor said...

I love the wildflowers.