Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Just enough time between games

It turns out that I can only concentrate on one soccer game at a time. Funny, I have few problems watching two American football games on competing channels. Of course, American football is mostly standing around waiting for the next short burst of activity. Today I had to watch just one of the two simultaneously occurring games. It had seemed for a time that I would see parts of each and every game. That will not happen.

Today's results were not unexpected but still a little disappointing. Sporting events are generally a bit more engrossing if the spectator has a rooting interest in one of the participants. I didn't think France was going to win the tournament but I was hoping that les Bleus would keep my rooting interest alive for a bit longer than this by surviving to the next round. They did not. I left as soon as the game was over for my bicycle ride and was able to get back just in time to watch my new favorite team, Argentina.

It was pretty warm and I think conditions outside my house at this moment, one game later, qualify as hot. I was out early enough that the warmth mostly felt pretty good. Evaporative cooling kept me from overheating while riding but I did rediscover the joy of sweat as soon as I arrived at home and stopped.

I rode the Capitol loop and passed by the Fitzgerald House on Summit Avenue. This is where Fitzgerald lived in 1919 while he was finishing the rewrite of his first novel, "This Side of Paradise".A version of this shot has already been published but I am using it again because it is so appropriate. This is me in front of 74 Rue de Cardinal Lemoine, where Hemingway lived in 1922 while he was finishing his first novel.The housing arrangements available to these young family men indicate that one of them was already rich.

However, neither one of them had participated in the let's go in the loo and look and my willy incident. That happened later.

Here's today's previously unpublished photo, a view of the back of the Rodin Museum from near the pool in the garden.The sculpture in the pool is "Ugolino", another view of which has already been posted.

1 comment:

Santini said...

Fitzgerald's house is even bigger than Lynne's.