Monday, April 28, 2008

Triple star crossed

It was only 40, dark and grey, wind NNE at 10, not a good day for a bike ride. But the season has started, I hate to miss a day when it isn't raining. I got all of my winter gear on and headed out.

I felt strong, really strong. I was riding fast, trying to get warmed up enough to be completely comfortable. The first 4 miles flew past.

Pssssscht. Flat, completely flat. Star crossed one.

My first ever bad weather flat. Star crossed two. It was going to be a cold repair.

I worried that the patch installed last week had failed but I figured I could look at it and I had a spare tube with me. I could repair the tube again or put in the spare. Tire repair was once again the order of the day.

Wrestling with the tire with really cold fingers is harder than the same task when temperatures are more reasonable. I quickly discovered that there was no reason to doubt the previous patch. There was a piece of wire about a half inch long still stuck into the tube. I got out the patch kit and went to work. As I was working I had a second neighbor encounter completely against type. A guy in a big pick up pulled over and asked if I needed a hand. I guess I am old enough that other guys of my age group feel compassion even though I am dressed in spandex. Whatever the reason, it was a nice gesture and I thanked him but indicated that the tire was nearly fixed. Boy, was I wrong.

I got it all back together and whipped out my CO2 pump and one of my 2 cartridges. For just a moment the tire seemed like it would inflate and then no. Still completely flat, repair attempt failed, CO2 cartridge kaput, empty. Triple star crossed.

I got it back apart again. This time directly to the new tube. While I was at it a woman in a car stopped and asked for directions. She said she had often wondered what she would do if she got a flat while biking as she doesn't carry anything for dealing with such a problem. I pointed her towards where she wanted to go without commenting on her lack of repair options. As she got back into the car she asked if I needed any tools. I thanked her but showed her the tube ready to go into the tire.

Now for my last remaining CO2 cartridge. This time the tire held air so that part was OK. But as I reassembled the rear wheel I got the chain bound up between the derailleur wheel and the cassette. I had to take the wheel back off to get it freed. I am not even counting that as quadruple, triple is as far as I go.

About 45 minutes had gone by and it was getting too late to ride and besides I was feeling a little star crossed. I turned and headed for home.

At home I examined the tube to see if I could determine why the tire repair had failed. That piece of wire went all the way through the tube, puncturing it twice. I initially repaired only the spot where I found the wire. There was another puncture on the opposite side.I went ahead and repaired the other puncture for show but this tube will not actually be going back on the bike. The two patches together are tonight's double puncture, the other is actually about 8 inches away on the tube. It represents last week's adventure.

Hand modeling services provided by Bianchi Babe. Note that she is shy about and is hiding from view her surgically enhanced left index finger. Ask her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

4 miles would have been a long walk home. That is one sad biking story. Fairly dramatic photo, though. So a totally bloggable event.

I've been known to say that a bad day on a bike is better than a day doing almost anything else .... I'd have to say that I may be wrong about that.

Anonymous said...

That was some bad luck - but at least you got home without any bruises or loss of blood. TT

Anonymous said...

That was some bad luck - but at least you got home without any bruises or loss of blood. TT