Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Better

When I walked out to my car leaving work today I was pleased to discover that the sun had made enough of an impression that the inside of the car was stuffy.

But it wasn't really warm, just sunny. Still, sunny is good.

I rode over to the river. I hid from the sun behind a tree and got this photo of the monument at the end of Summit. I didn't go over to it but I have in the past and I am pretty sure it is a war memorial of some kind, either to the veterans or those lost in WWI. At least that's what I remember. I was photographing into the sun so I had to use the shade of the tree to block out the sun. Having done so it was pretty much impossible to not include the tree in the shot. I therefore went for artsy, trying to use the tree trunk to partially frame the shot.

As I was standing there a women's bike team went by. I see lots of training rides on the river road but this is the first time it was all women. There were about 7 of them, all with matching outfits, jerseys and shorts, all looking pretty fit and fast. They turned off of the river road and onto the uphill on Summit and easily swept up the incline. Fit and fast, to me they looked well in control. This was right after I met a club ride of some kind, about 40 riders, mostly road bikes, being led out by a guy on a hybrid. He was working pretty hard and was actually moving along at a fairly good clip but a substantial number of the road bikers did not appear to be on the rivet. 40 people of mixed equipment types and skill levels, all riding along in close proximity to each other. To me it looked dangerous.

No flat tire today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No flats is also good.

Nice photo -- makes me wish I had something besides Italian sausage conventions to display.

The only good thing about our cold and windy spring is that the roads have been fairy empty of other bikers. It is good to be wary of them -- especially the amateurs.