Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Signs

The sun came out this afternoon and for a while there it looked like it was going to be a nice day. The temperature started to rise and one website that I use regularly changed its predicted high for the day from 45 to 51.

Well, sun shining and 50? I was going to be there. It seemed vaguely possible to me that the ice might be out on the lakes. It rained all day Sunday, that usually melts some ice. It has been above freezing, almost all of the snow piled next to my driveway has melted. Ice out on the lakes would be most promising.

So I hustled for home. There were troubling signs almost immediately that 51 wasn't going to happen. It was about 43 when I headed out the driveway and the sun was still shining.

Cue the haze.That's Lake Owasso. Fairly obviously the day is no longer sunny and fairly obviously the ice has not gone out.

But I rode for about 2 hours as temperatures stabilized in the low 40s. The forecast for tomorrow is 1-2 inches of snow, snow continuing possibly through Saturday, accumulation amounts not generally specified but at least one source suggests 8-12 inches. Well, that would be fun.

Signs of spring: My street has been swept. As has Hamline Avenue where I ride a lot, and as has a big part of the NW quadrant of Shoreview which includes a lot of my northern route. I spent a lot of time on swept streets.

Another sign: I saw outdoor baseball practice at Saint Odilia's school (in Shoreview).

Perhaps sometime soon it will be sunny and warm and I will be riding in shorts and jersey, no jacket, no pants, no wool socks, no gloves. Perhaps sometime soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Surely not that much snow? Maybe 'up north.'

Nice photo, but still a lot of ice. Spring is reluctant this year. SS