Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Shorts

Can you see it? This is last tiny bit of ice in our yard. Because we have mature trees and a north facing house we have the last bits of ice on the block each year. This tiny remnant is hiding from the sun in the shadow of the garage. Can you see it?It was in the 60s again today and I rode for the first time in shorts. It was pushing the season just a tiny bit but it was OK. At the last minute I stopped and put on a jacket figuring I could always take it off if I was too warm. I didn't take it off. But the shorts were OK.

I rode out to Owasso and the lake has some open spots but still has most of its ice cover. At least 3 of the ponds that I ride past (none of which are counted when you are counting lakes for the 8 lake tour, by the way) are now ice free. The lakes will lose the ice in a very short time, perhaps even as soon as tomorrow.

The temperature at the A&W was 62 and it is definitely open. Four tables were occupied with customers contentedly enjoying outdoor dining. I don't know for sure what they were having but the A&W? I'm guessing burger basket and root beer float.

Pictured last Saturday in Harbin, China, are 2 current Gopher women's hockey players and a former star. Pictured left to right are current player Rachel Drazan, former star Natalie Darwitz and current sensation Gigi Marvin.The three played for the gold medal winning USA hockey team in the World Championships. The USA captured the World Championship for only the second time by defeating the many time champions from Canada by a score of 4-3. Darwitz scored 2 goals in the championship game as she led the tournament in scoring and was named Most Valuable Player.

And today in Nantes the dream Coupe de France run of Carquefou came to an end. Carquefou enjoyed fanatical support from a sell-out crowd at Nantes' home stadium, which is just down the road from Carquefou. The amateur side succeeded in holding Paris Saint Germain scoreless until the 76th minute but it the end it was PSG who got the goal and PSG who prevailed by a score of 1-0.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another great post (see Monday's belated comment). It's great to see a picture of the great Natalie Darwitz and GIGI Marvin. And ice in our yard (on April 16)? Deplorable.
BB (sometimes referred to as TOPWLH)

Oh, glad you went for a ride on this beautiful day. I was too busy preparing to teach to get outside and then made someone cry (again) in my class tonight. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Shorts? Brave. I've just exchanged windstopper tights for regular ones. I look forward to the first photo from the traditional spot at Vadnais, ice free. Winter will be well and truly gone then. SS

BB -- You made someone cry -- again? That usually only happens in my office. BTW, I caved in and have agreed to teach two classes this fall. Sigh. SS