Tuesday, April 22, 2008

TCF Stadium

The rain stopped overnight. Today dawned a bit on the overcast side but a clearing trend produced a pretty nice day. It was 63 when I headed out, albeit with a pretty brisk SW wind. 63 requires leg covering but I am out of the winter tights and into just leg warmers. I was going to go with just arm warmers on top but I stood in the driveway for a bit and faced the SW wind and went back inside for a jacket. I was warm enough.

I saw the tall bike guy today for the first time this year. I was in the left turn lane at the intersection featuring the Speedy Mart and the former Miller Drug so there was no chance this time to get a photo. I was way too busy getting myself out of the middle of traffic.

A SW wind took me on the seldom traveled route over to the University. I know, seldom traveled but taken 2 days in a row. But really, I don't head that way often. As I neared the University I was passed by a young female commuter. She wanted to inform me that she had ridden the same route in the opposite direction this morning and that due to a wind shift she had faced a brisk head wind in both directions. I gave her the feedback that I am pretty sure she wanted by opining: "That's not fair." She agreed but I turned off before the conversation went any farther.

I turned off to get a better vantage point to try and show as much detail of the stadium construction as I could fit into a single shot.I fully tested the cotton sock scenario today. It turns out that 63 is plenty comfortable for cotton socks. This is significant because the wool socks don't fit into my road bike shoes. I am on the Axis (mountain bike shoes) until cotton socks are sufficient for dealing with the elements. That moment has definitively arrived so my next ride will be on the Look. Let the season begin.

Closed circuit to Michigan: I know it isn't a competition but I also know that if it was a competition it would not be a competition of most miles ridden except for miles ridden earlier in the year in Florida. I am pretty sure the competition would be most miles ridden in the year. And so I may be eating into your lead, but it isn't a competition and one thing I have learned is that if you surrender that many miles as a lead that it is going to be a long, long haul to make it up. I suppose it is still possible that I will ride more miles but it is far from a sure thing. I have stated my goal. If you don't get there I have a decent chance of passing you. I am pretty sure it is not a competition but if it were I wouldn't like my chances.

Ligue 2 fourth place Troyes was held to a tie in a make-up game today in Dijon. The result means that with only 4 games remaining that the most points Troyes can amass is 68. Nantes is currently on 67. This means that Nantes needs 1 win, or 2 ties, or needs only for Troyes to fail to win any one of its remaining 4 games and Nantes will be promoted to Ligue 1. The goal is not yet achieved but failure from this point seems not possible. Next up for Nantes is a Friday night game at home against Montpellier with a chance to secure promotion in front of the home fans.

Allez, allez, allez Nantes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bikey post. Tall bike guy, cotton socks, lots of references to wind. Interesting construction photo.

Of course it isn't a competition. If it were, it would be as you say, for total miles for the year, ridden wherever. I thought you'd be interested in the fact that you've ridden more miles in this iffy spring than I have. And if it were a competition, I'd be 25% of the way to your stated goal, which would be a huge lead. I have considered 4,000 as a goal for the year -- but that seems like a lot. One more mile than last year (3,500) is my usual goal, and that was hard enough.