Monday, April 14, 2008

Outdoor baseball

Taxes done? Check.

Copies made? Check.

Checks written? Check.

Correct postage? Check.

In the mail? Check.

Two hour bike ride? Check.

The image on my weather bug for tomorrow's forecast is of a tree bent over from the wind. Hmmm. Today was better, the temperature actually rose to within a couple of degrees of normal.

I read an article in the sports news over the weekend about some Saint Thomas baseball player complaining about how few many games have been postponed so far this spring. I was riding into the wind (south) anyway when it occurred to me that Saint Thomas would almost certainly be playing and that there was a 50 percent chance they would be playing at home. The route takes me near to their field so I swung by to take a look.Not only was Saint Thomas at home, they were playing Saint John's. Ah, the Tommies and the Johnnies. That's Saint Thomas batting with Saint John's in the field, Saint Thomas leading 5-3 in the 6th. Also visible, although just, is the Saint Thomas outfield fence sign touting their Division III national championship in 2001. A national championship in baseball is quite a significant accomplishment for any team from the northern tier of states.

For those looking in from Michigan my stumbling onto this game is almost exactly the same thing as one of you swinging by the Hope field without any previous information, without even any assurance that there would be a game, and discovering not just a game, but Hope-Calvin.

So I watched for a while. The Saint Thomas pitcher was overpowering during the brief time I was there.

So there you go, outdoor baseball. Spring is definitely trying to make an appearance.

From France today, FC Nantes 3 Boulogne-sur-Mer 0. Promotion is now but 5 points away with 5 games to play. The big news for the week, however, will be Wednesday when Carquefou plays host to Paris Saint Germain at Stade de la Beaujoire in Nantes.

Allez Carquefou!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same checklist for today. Tommies and Johnnies equal the Hope/Calvin rivalry? Whose side is God on? That is the real outcome of our game. SS

Anonymous said...

Ah, outdoor baseball. Today's recommended activity is kite flying. TT

Gino said...

Kite flying seems appropriate but I am sure I will attempt bicycling.

St. Thomas is a diocesan university, founded by the archbishop and run by the archdiocese, therefore pretty obviously establishment. St. John's was founded by the Benedictine order which still maintains monasteries and religious communities on the St. John's campus and the campus of the separate, but presumably equal, women's college, St. Benedict's. I think the Tommy-Johnnie dispute has significant doctrinal implications. If not, at least the bad feelings run at least as deep.

According to today's news, the Pope is the head of the largest religion group in the world. The question being asked in the Hope-Calvin debate ultimately is of importance to a much smaller group of people.

But on the other hand, I don't really care.

Anonymous said...

Nobody does internal disputes quite like Christians. SS

Anonymous said...

Now this is a great post (with the picture, entry and comments). It made me LOL and it was interesting. Too late for me to say Allez Carquefou! since I just read today's entry, but it has been fun to read about their games. As far as Christians, don't get me started.
BB