Saturday, April 19, 2008

Earth fails to move

There were no earthquakes here today. This is, of course, good news. Earthquakes are possible here. We have the Mid-Continent Rift. The Rift has hosted a significant earthquake in the history of European settlement. In 1812 an 8.0 quake centered at New Madrid, Louisiana territory (now Missouri) changed the course of the Mississippi River and is said to have rung church bells as far away as New England. No earthquakes here today.

Also no sun. I ranted a few posts ago that having once ridden in 60 degree weather that I was through riding in marginal conditions. I lied.

Today I headed out the door with the temperature at 16 degrees below the normal high for the day. But it did warm up a little while I was out. When I got home it was only 9 degrees below the normal high for the day.

I missed a chance to ride on Thursday due to out of town business but on the way back I drove past the west half of Lake Vadnais and found it mostly ice clear. Based on this I expected to be able today to ride to Lake Vadnais and produce the first photographic evidence of the 8 lakes tour.

The lakes south of 694 (Josephine, Island, Mud) were all mostly ice clear. And the first lake north of the freeway, Snail, had ice only in a bay at the south end, mostly ice clear. Sucker was the first to disappoint with open areas near the creek where it flows into the lake and again near where it flows out. But the majority of the lake was still iced over.

Next up, Vadnais and I was quite disappointed to discover that the gates are still closed, no access to the lake. I am guessing that they don't want people on the ice (city water supply and all), so they don't open up until the ice is gone. And the ice isn't gone.

I had to circumnavigate the lake to get this shot from a seldom seen angle, from the southeast side.So I was thinking I would have good news (the earth failed to move) and more good news (ice out of the lakes). One out of two is going to have to be good enough for today.

A special shout out to the Big Apple.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not a lie -- more a misjudgment, maybe a mistake, or even just a change of heart. Not even an aftershock here today, either. And no ice visible anywhere. You must have had some really deep cold this past winter for there to still be that much ice on Vadnais. Nice photo though -- looks more like March than mid April. SS

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the special shout out to the Big Apple.
BB