Friday, September 4, 2015

Too hot

Stop me if you have heard this one before . . .

Well, too late, although I know everyone has heard this before.  Today was TOO HOT.  I made it through a ride but it seriously taxed my ability to persevere.  It was TOO HOT.

Ugly.

Mostly I was JRA, I actually never got any farther away from home than the far side of Lake Como.  To add to the indignity the far side of Lake Como is in that part of the big city to our south where the city streets department laid down major oil and gravel about 6 or 8 weeks ago.  It is sort of marginally rideable now but there is really just too many pieces of less than pea sized rock laying around on each and every street just outside of the area where cars commonly drive.  Which is to say, lots of ugly little bits of vaguely oil covered rock absolutely totally in the area where bicycles commonly drive.

But I got a picture of a tree.
I thought it was interesting that the smaller one in the foreground is about a third of the way into giving up while the apparently same species in the camera left background is still bravely soldiering on.

It was way TOO HOT but with a blue sky and autumn lighting it was a fairly good day for a photograph.

I have done some checking of the archives.  This year's big pig at 1,080 pounds seems like a disappointment to me but maybe it shouldn't be.  Last year's big pig was only 800 pounds and distinguished himself from all other big pigs I have ever seen by being observed actually standing up.  The big pig had NEVER ever done anything but lay on his side and pant.  Standing up was a pretty major phenomenon for any of the big pigs.

But at least as surprising to me was that last year's big pumpkin was also only about 800 pounds.  And further I referred to that 800 pound pumpkin as incomprehensibly huge.

I note for both personal humility purposes and also for historical perspective that this year's big pumpkin came in at over 1,400 pounds, which probably means that 800 pounds is a bit short of incomprehensible.

If weather permits we will make another appearance at the Fair tomorrow, this time with TCWUTH in tow.  Days at the Fair are always fun days and further if tomorrow is anything like today tomorrow will be just plain TOO HOT for a bicycle ride.

2 comments:

Mrs. Smith said...

I get the impression from this post that it was too hot today. I did not really notice as I was not outdoors much at all, but I take your word for it.

Santini said...


Way to persevere. You may have heard this before, but it was cooler near the lake.

The autumn light does make for better photos. Lovely shadows in that one.