Monday, September 14, 2015

Three days in a row

I rode again today, making three days in a row for the first time since August in Michigan.

It isn't going to be a big mileage year but that's going to have to be OK.  There might be as little as a month left before the last ride, naturally I am hoping for at least two months.

The Fair is over, a giant traffic blockade no longer exists.  The wind was from the south.  Two good reasons, I headed off towards the big city to the south.

I was riding down Como past the Fairgrounds when I was overtaken by what used to be a fat guy riding a nice hybrid.  It was a guy I used to play softball with (many years ago) who has reached retirement age and has acquired a bicycle and a habit.

He looks great.  Almost unrecognizable.

His son lives in Paris.  I was wearing my CyclesLaurent Paris jersey.  We had a nice chat.

And then off towards the Falls.
Looks like a nice day, right?  I was accosted at the Falls by a woman who wanted to know the approximate time.  She had taken work to the park but found herself unable to concentrate on anything other than what a nice day it was.  It was 2:06.

It WAS a nice day, 77 at the Cattle Barn, later on it reached 82F.

Having been to the Falls it seems obvious that the south side intersection study must have a new chapter.  38th and 38th.
That's actually a fairly busy intersection, 38th Street is a major cross town arterial, a major enough street to host a 42nd Street detour.

 Another continuing series, benches.  An orange bench at the Fairgrounds.
With a wooden train in the background.  And the Fine Arts Building, originally constructed (in the 30s I believe) as a Dairy exposition building.  Cows.

Not far from there I came across this.  Nothing anywhere around, no concession stand being dismantled, far from the nearest building, mystery ice.
That might be me, or at least my shadow frame bottom left.

Self portraiture is its own reward.

1 comment:

Santini said...

That bench looks like it's missing something. It is the first orange bench I remember in the series, though.

There's a Coke bottle on the other side of that ice. I wonder if there's a connection.

Biking three days in a row is hard. So is one in a row, sometimes.