Thursday, September 10, 2015

Fairgrounds reopen

The inevitable but unwelcome news for today was the first day of fall.  Temperatures descended into the 50s overnight and the weakened sun had a very difficult time  heating the atmosphere to a level where I felt comfortable riding my bicycle outside.

Yes, unmistakably fallish, before I even got out of my driveway I had evidence with a look at my neighbor's gives up too soon maple.
Mostly what I liked about that angle is how healthy and vibrant the big new tree looks.  Two years in that spot, coming around to its third episode of one third of the needles turn yellow and drop, about a foot taller than when we put it in, we love that tree.

Before I even left the neighborhood there were additional instances of fall foliage.  There are never enough purple plants.
That spot is also interesting, to me, because it is exactly 0.50 miles from home.  This is helpful information if you are trying to end your rides on an even number without doing laps around the cul-de-sac.

I discovered that the Fairgrounds have reopened so I headed in.  After the Fair there is just so much to look at in there as the various vendors and exhibitors dismantle the part of the Fair that only last for the 12 days when the Fair is running.  Here is my favorite photo proving that the Fair is over, the grease spot at the onion ring stand right outside the door of the Food Building.
Once a year, Danielson and Daughters, onion rings, the best of the Fair.

Recently seen with a crowd I thought it worthwhile to again display the Cattle Barn.
Twenty degrees cooler, virtually no humidity, no fellow citizens, a complete different feeling.

But the dining halls still exist.  Hamline, one of only two remaining.
I suspect that whatever it is they serve inside that building it is almost certainly tastier than the fare at Donna's Bar-B-Q.

It was a little cool but it was a very, very pretty day, the first of many with that beautiful diffuse fall lighting that makes a person want to take some photographs.

1 comment:

Santini said...

That tree is a quitter.

I need to find my tights, apparently.

I didn't see this post until today -- either brain fog or creative post scheduling.