Saturday, September 20, 2014

More signs of Fall

A long time partner left the household today.  When Wireless bought a new car I discovered myself to be the owner of TWO cars.  TCFKAC* was driven away this morning by a new owner.  I am back down to one car.

It's a relief actually.  I don't really have parking space for that many cars.  Part of the time I was backing the new car out of the driveway around TCFKAC* while adhering to the absolute rule of trying not to smash up the fleet.  The other times I was parking TCFKAC* out on the street and wondering what was the number of hours I could leave it out there before I would attract the attention of the local regulatory authorities.

I am now able to park all of the cars I own inside the garage.  It's a relief actually.

We discovered last year in the early days of the BNT that white pine trees actually drop one third of their needles each year.  We didn't really know that and when the new tree suddenly had a bunch of yellow needles we were very nervous.

This year I knew it was coming and I actually think it is a pretty attractive display, all green and gold.
 Those trees with the white flowers that I featured back in June produce fruit from those blossoms.  Here's what the fruit looks like.
It looks way odd to me.  I suppose the next step is to try to find out if those bean looking deals have any food value.

That June post is also of some interest as it includes photos of TCFKAC*.

It was a very nice day today, temperatures rising into the70s with a clear blue sky.  It was too windy, I suppose, but I now usually think that any wind at all is too windy.
Later on this afternoon a nasty squall blew through.  The local University football team has actually gone to a "weather delay", stopping the game and sending both teams to their locker rooms.  And a huge number of their fans to the parking lots.  Football always used to be the one sport that no matter what the weather they played on.  I do remember being at a Hamline v. Macalester game several years ago when a lightning strike which knocked out a transformer at the Hamline stadium (at least that's the way I remember it) caused everyone present, players, officials and fans, without any comment whatsoever to just leave.  But usually they play on.

I guess it is a kinder, gentler world now.

I hasten to add that I think getting inside when there is lightning outside is a sound policy.

*the car formerly known as Chad

4 comments:

Santini said...

Is it the tamarack tree that has needles that all turn yellow in the fall? BNT is looking good.

Nice fall color where you are. We have some of that too, but it is still spotty.

Jimi said...

It's kind of sad to see Chad go to the glue factory. What was the mileage on the old fellow?

I wasn't aware of the needle dropping behavior of white pines. Do you vacuum them up? Or what?

Gino said...

I wrote 98,686 on the title transfer. I was the only registered owner of the car during its 15 year run and therefore had an original one owner title certificate. The odometer reading on that original title was "5". That's a lot of miles but it is an extraordinarily low number for 15 years and as a result I was able to sell for above blue book.

The needles form what is referred to by white pine folk as "pine straw". The needles form a mat underneath the major part of the tree and contribute by killing the grass under a part of the tree where it would be nearly impossible to mow.

Mrs. Smith said...

I am glad you warned me about the changing colors on the BNT.

Congrats to you and Wireless for selling Chad for above blue book value.