Monday, September 8, 2014

No one there

I keep trying slightly different routes down towards the south and so far not much is very promising.  The chip and seal project in that part of the big city is quite pervasive.  But south it had to be again today.  Another spectacular early September day made the exploration plenty enjoyable even if the pathfinding continues to be unsuccessful.

Today's swing through the Fairgrounds produced this new experience.  That guy is power washing the sidewalk in front of one of the Fair's most successful businesses.  There are two of these stands on the grounds and at this one, for instance, we walked on the near side of that mid street grassy boulevard to avoid the teeming masses lined up to purchase fresh out of the oven cookies from helpful young minimum wage persons on the other side of the counters at those windows.
I didn't realize previously that the cookie stand creates a mess that while not as significant as the french fries places grease spot, is still major enough to require a power wash clean up.  I rode over and got a better look and indeed there is a fairly significant amount of grease on the sidewalk there too.  But mostly it seemed like he was washing cookie debris out of the cracks.

As I say something new.  And so is this.
The young people have kept us informed about the appearance of a new car share service which has been established here.  You pay a fee and join the group and then you can use one of these cars anytime you have the need for a car.  Here's a surprise, it is mostly done with a phone app.  You log on and your phone gives you the location of the nearest Car2Go.

It was a circuitous route, for instance I discovered that you can ride your bicycle through the parking lot at Minnehaha Academy and cut a couple of blocks off the route I have used in the past when I have to get around that campus.  Eventually I found myself down at the Falls which again today were putting on a routinely gorgeous display.
But it felt like it must feel on the beach the week after Labor Day.

No one there.
No one at all except me.

2 comments:

TOPWLH said...

Wow, that is pretty remarkable. I do not think I have ever been the only one viewing the falls. And it was a gorgeous day.
Lovely photos and very nice post.

Santini said...

I like the empty fairgrounds photos, though I'm not sure why. A preference for imaginary crowds over real ones?

The falls never lose their majesty. Cool to have it all to yourself.