Thursday, September 18, 2014

Feedback

I logged on to blogger today and discovered that I had a comment awaiting moderation.  This doesn't happen very often so I went ahead and took a look.  The comment was actually on a post from November 22, 2010.  Take a look.  I decided the comment was totally acceptable and okayed publication.

There are more signs of fall.

I think this thing is a woollybear caterpillar, widely considered a predictor of the severity of the upcoming winter.
I now know that it is the caterpillar form of the Isabella Tiger moth and I personally believe that that is all of the information I am going to require about this particular bug during the course of my lifetime.

As is the case almost every weekend of the fall season there is a horse show at the Fairgrounds.  I am not much of an expert on this sort of thing but that looks to me to be an English hunt riding costume and very distinctly not western saddles.
66 at the Cattle Barn at 2pm?  Pretty nice day for mid-September.

I have been circling around the new west entrance trying to discover new things and today I found these moose hiding behind the fence over near the grandstand.
They are visible from the parking lot but this is a parking lot which while it will see use during the Fair will be only occasionally used during the rest of the year.  The meese are not visible from the general area of the Grandstand and they are during the Fair hidden behind a bunch of tents and stuff on the inside of that fence running off frame towards the right.

Still, I like them plenty fine, thank you.

I was still riding and I came upon what I consider to be a fairly novel approach to lawn care.  This fellow has just gone ahead and installed artificial turf.
This tree looks like it has suffered some fairly severe damage there on the main trunk, the top half of the tree looks to have been sheared off.
I don't remember that storm but why would I.  Without a crown the rest of the tree presents a nice angle to display the red, red leaves and the blue, blue sky.

2 comments:

Santini said...

Bike Laura and JB both claim that this winter will rival last year's. The caterpillar might know something. It looks pretty wooly.

Nice fall colors showing up there. I hope it's a long, slow turn.

Emily M said...

Artificial turf is a very odd choice.