Tuesday, September 30, 2014

More miles this year than last

I really wanted a ride today for the above reason.  I was determined despite losing 30 degrees in temperature over the last two days.  When I got out to the garage I discovered a flat rear tire.  It has been kind of a bad run for flats ever since changing out that miracle last set of tires (never flatted a single time in over 2,000 miles).  I was determined though.  I hate when you have to go back inside after having made it outside particularly when you head back inside with your rear wheel under your arm.

It ended up being a very late start but I got the repair done, and then got out and got the ride that I wanted.  The contrast was extreme, my last ride two days ago was in full summer kit, sleeveless jersey, temperature in the 80s, today was in almost full winter kit, long sleeve jersey, jacket and tights, temperature in the mid 50s.  But I have the gear, no problem.

Five straight months with more miles this year than in the same month last year combined with the horrible late season weather last year that saw me ride only 208 miles after September 30 means that I am already past the total ridden for the entire season last year.
So that was my primary goal for this season.  It feels good to get the big one out of the way early.

I went by the bike shop after the ride to buy patches.  I still have plenty of rubber cement but I was scratching around today trying to round up patches.  It's always something.  You can buy single patches for 40 cents each.  A repair kit is only $3 bucks and comes with 4 or 5 patches but how many times do I have to buy that tiny piece of sandpaper and the instructions on how to repair a tube?

The bike shop has summer hours and winter hours.  Ron, the owner, says they will be going to winter hours at the end of October.  I agree with the general concept, the season is pretty much over at the end of October, it is most definitely not over at the end of September.
So I have another goal that I would really like to reach.  I am already on the verge of most miles ever ridden in a single season on this bicycle but I would kinda like to get to 3,000 miles this bicycle, this year.

If I do I will not be to the former goal of 4,000 but I will be somewhere near 85 percent of that former goal.  That seems worthy, it is what I will be shooting for.  If the weather is reasonable I will get at least pretty close.

3 comments:

Santini said...

Good job on the miles -- it's always fun to exceed last year's mileage. It's almost worth having a bad year to be able to do it.

Sorry about the flat tires. Not fun.

Jimi said...

Congratulations on your mileage for the year so far. I hope the weather holds and you get another month of riding at least.

I see you encountered a lacrosse game at Como. Lacrosse has become a pretty popular sport in the Twin Cities high schools. Maybe it'll start to replace football as a safer alternative.

Pretty tree photo.

Santini said...

FYI -- I need about 88 more miles to surpass last year's total miles. October should have some rideable days, and we leave early for Florida this year. I'm hopeful, but you gotta ride 'em before you can count 'em.