Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Vadnais

The weather websites proclaimed today to be calm, no wind at all.  That was close enough to being correct to encourage me to try to do something to the very seldom ridden of late northern lakes.

This complaint is probably getting old to some others but it is still relevant to me.  It is hard to get anywhere going north without bumping into a massive chip and seal project in the city of Shoreview.

But I have figured out a way around it using not very often ridden Roseville city streets and today bobbed and weaved my way out to Lake Vadnais.
Usually by this time of year I have a couple of dozen photos of the lake based on having been there multiple dozens of times.  This year there is a, to me, noticeable lack of photos from out there but I think I got a nice one today.  The trees on the far shore are not exactly in full fall colors but the green is very definitely not up to July intensity.  The entire world is starting to turn just a tiny bit more yellow.

I made it all the way up to Highway 96 today, my usual northern turnback point.  I was way east, in Vadnais Heights, not Shoreview but I felt pretty good about getting all the way to the normal northern limit.  This is a shot of the northern edge of Sucker Lake where the creek enters the lake just south of 96.
Here's the spot where the beavers ruled for most of last summer.  Clearly the rule of beavers has been terminated.
No sign of the dam and a water level about a foot and a half to two feet lower than when the colony was out there.

It's a pretty spot even if it is a swamp.

1 comment:

Santini said...

I need to pay more attention -- you've posted three times and I just figured it out. Apparently I shouldn't count on my own blog sidebar to let me know these things.

I submit that west is harder for me than north is for you. Still, I hate chip and seal, especially the fresh stuff.

Vadnais is always pretty.

It's good to see a beaver dam story again.