Monday, June 23, 2014

Body shop saga

There wasn't any riding yesterday.  It rained during the morning and remained icky (technical term) throughout the afternoon.  The rain didn't really reoccur and actually the streets had dried with plenty of daylight left.

Alas, I am not as hard core as I used to be.  I let another day go.  Even worse with the ambiguity about riding conditions I never committed to tire replacement.

So I still have THAT on my agenda.

My most significant activity for the day today was getting my car out of jail (aka the body shop).  Full report to follow.

Today was mostly cloudy, sometimes feeling a bit like rain but mostly not, mostly feeling like a continuation of the part of yesterday that was icky but without actual precipitation.  Eventually I was done with my other tasks so I buckled down, skipped a fair amount of futbol and went ahead and rode my bicycle.

There are a lot of these trees around, most not as big as this one, but everyone single one of them is putting on a nice display right now.
I rode past lots of them without taking a photo as, is probably apparent even from this one, it was mostly overcast and not at all good lighting for photography, even photography with an inexpensive camera suitable for the pocket of a bicycle jersey.

A couple of months ago I got backed into by a moron in the post office parking lot.  It took too long and an unseemly amount of haggling with the moron's insurance company before the moron's insurer agreed to pay 75 percent.  I backed up, I was at a dead stop honking my horn when the moron backed into me.  I believe that my only fault that day was going out in public.  But I finally said the hell with it as no one ever really gets out of these things unscathed and 25 percent was going to be in the ball park of what my deductible would be if I turned it in to my own company anyway.  Here's what it looked like before.
Then  I got a break, the estimator at the body shop decided that the slightly sprung trunk hinge and the damaged fuel door were part of the collision damage.

So they fixed the trunk hinge and I got a new fuel door.  Here's after.
Moron's insurer paid for 75 percent of those two jobs too.

As the body shop people cleaned up the car after the body work was finished (note that they put shiny stuff on the tires, they also cleaned the floor mats), the body shop people discovered a screw in one of the tires.  They fixed that, promising that it would only be $20, but lo and behold when I went to pay my 25 percent of the bill the tire repair was NOT on the bill.

I think I got a pretty good deal at the body shop.

So, it's still a pretty old car but it is again at least presentable.

Also worth mentioning is that for the before picture I was wearing an orange hat, for the after I had on an orange tee shirt.  Look closely, it's all there in the images.

5 comments:

Santini said...

Is that a cottonwood? I got showered with cottonwood fluff on my walk this evening.

I remember the story of the parking lot encounter. That's been dragging on a while -- but the final resolution turned out pretty well. No payment for your inconvenience, but that's how that works, apparently. Chad (I believe) looks good.

Emily M said...

I am glad the car formerly known as Chad is back to his old, non-dented self. I promise not to tell them that the trunk lid hinge problem was actually my fault.

BDE said...

Looks like new. Well, not exactly, but it looks all shiny and undented.
Good insurance story.

Nice day for walking around a lake and mowing the lawn after working indoors for a few hours. No rain!!

Gino said...

Not a cottonwood. Possibly Japanese lilac?

Here we are bit past the cottonwood fluff peak.

Santini said...

It's an amazing looking tree, whatever it's called.

BDE -- Nice amount of exercise. Good job.