Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Rest day please

I know, I know, travel is hard.  It shouldn't really count as a rest day.

But I bet it is going to not be as hard as today's bicycle ride.  Conditions were fine, warm enough, some but not too much wind, some interesting new pavement looking for a northern route.  The issue was I am absolutely cooked, slightly overdone.

I wanted the miles, I am extremely glad I rode them.  In the long run it is absolutely the right thing to do.  In the slightly shorter run I have a ride for the past nine days in a row and 15 of the last 16 and I am tired.  My legs are dead.  Partly this plethora of recent rides indicates that it has been a dry July, a complete dearth of rain events after what I believe has been labeled as the wettest June on record.  It also indicates that I need a rest day from my bicycle.

I know TOPWLH is going to giggle over one of the sentences in that paragraph.

On my bike log cumulative page I keep a record of every month when I have ridden more than 600 miles since I started recording the miles.  So today I got to make an addition to that page, the first since last July, and I wish to report that that feels pretty good too.  I am also able to note that I am 162 miles ahead of last year at the end of July.

Isn't keeping records fun?

Tomorrow we travel.  Just filling in a bit of information which is probably of interest at our destination we have Avis'd ourselves and will be arriving at the mountain in a rental car.  Probably just a bit after dinner time.  All concerned should be reasonably certain that once she gets there it will be extremely difficult to get TOPWLH off the dune.

We are going to miss the BNT.
We both absolutely love that tree with complete agreement that the change to the front yard with the removal of the cankered spruce to provide room for the BNT ends up being a very good thing.

Travel tomorrow.

2 comments:

Santini said...

People here are bewildered that you will miss the BNT.

Really nice ride stats. 600 miles in a month is no easy feat -- I just checked my cumulative log, and I have only done it four times. Always during a year that included a Ride Across Minnesota. So kudos.

I hope the place you're going is warmer than it was here today. Four chilly days in a row with fog. Can't even see the lake at times.

The Count said...

Correct usage of both plethora and dearth in the same sentence: Hooray! If I were still teaching my literacy class (which I am not as last night was my LAST class), I would share that part of your blog post with them.

I will miss the BNT, but not too much. I will be so busy counting stairs, miles ridden and walked, books read, etc.