Wednesday, July 9, 2014

High water

The rivers have receded from flood stage after last month's monsoon.  I hadn't been out to Grass Lake in a couple of weeks so I went by to see if the flood was over out there as well.

Nope.
I took this picture from part way up the hill.  From this angle the entrance to the tunnel is visible (right center).  So the tunnel isn't completely underwater but looking at the water level on the right I estimate that the tunnel is in 6 or so feet of water.

It'll be a while before there is ride through there.

The extremely high water has turned what has always been mostly dry into another significant arm of the wetland, wet enough that the big white birds have moved their habitat over to this side of the path.
It was a very pretty day out there.  With one end of the path closed the whole park is virtually deserted, particularly down at the underwater end.

2 comments:

Mrs Smith said...

I guess I won't be riding through that tunnel for a while. Cool photo of the BWBs.

Santini said...

I like deserted spots. Especially pretty ones. A small silver lining to all of the nasty flooding.