Saturday, September 29, 2012

PSPS

I haven't had time to check the sources, did we make that all time record high temperature or not? I only know that it was 20C by 11am and that Yahoo reported 81F when I got back.

Back from what?

I decided to chase the number.

I didn't have time for the full two hour ride even with the early start that 20C by 11am allowed. I set out to ride only to the Port Sheldon Party Store. It was a great ride up Lakeshore, the usual cut across on James and then on up 168th, the jog over through Evergreen Hills to 164th and then on up to Butternut for the run to everyone's favorite convenience store. Here is a view of the parking lot at the PSPS on the not usually photographed side opposite from the picnic tables.
Clearly visible are the high tension power lines running from the nearby power plant to the local substation.

*long pause*

Here's the deal, I set out to ride every single time I ride intending to make myself tired. Tired is what I want. There is no winning the race against time but even as I lose that race I still enjoy the feeling of having tried. My body feels better more of the time if some of the time I make it work too hard. I ride intending to make myself tired.

Today I rode less than the usual amount, I didn't really get very tired at all. It seems just vaguely possible that the change in routine has caused a certain amount of confusion.

But maybe not. This could be a scene along New Holland on the return trip from PSPS.
I mean, I know it isn't, but it could be, couldn't it?

And actually, all confusion aside what made me think of the PSPS as I rode today is that the ride today was similar in length to the PSPS ride.

It sure is pretty around here right now, don't you think?

We had early hockey today. It is hard to go inside on a day of record high temperatures at 3:20pm to sit next to a sheet of ice. You only do that if you love the hockey. We love the hockey. The defending national champions won again today, this time by 11-0 (no 10 run rule in collegiate women's hockey, you have to play it out). The same new kid who got the hat trick yesterday did it again today. That particular new kid looks amazingly like she might be the real deal. The hat trick is rare enough, who does it in both of her first two games?

FC Nantes defeated Lens 4-0 at Nantes. With about one-fourth of the season completed (9 of 38 games) FC Nantes at long last looks to be a serious contender for promotion. With the victory today Nantes is a solid 4 wins, 4 ties and 1 loss to stand fourth on the table, only 2 points from first and only 1 point from the promotion zone.

3 comments:

Retired Professor said...

The title caught my attention, then the description of the ride was just spot on. Everybody's favorite party store, indeed.

Really, the photos nearly could have been from that ride. Though your colors are deeper than they are here, I think.

Very amusing stuff.

BDE said...

I bet (not the ranch) that there is no rookie in collegiate hockey who has scored a hat trick in the first two games.

Santini said...

Good luck chasing that number! Be careful out there.