Sunday, September 23, 2012

Equinox?

Doesn't that mean day and night of equal length?

I guess I don't get to decide but the morning newspaper supports what is going to be my opinion that equinox at the equator, which apparently is the official moment for the planet, is not necessarily the same as equinox at the 45th parallel.

Sunrise: 7:01am

Sunset: 7:07pm

12 hours and 6 minutes.

Discuss.

Class? Anyone? Bueller?

Just sayin' is all.

This development at the Roseville VFW Post 7555 is actually big news for certain of us.
The predicted overnight killing frost did NOT occur in my neighborhood. I was up at the coolest point of the day (shortly after sunrise, see above) and there wasn't any frost on the grass. Our most certainly unofficial outdoor thermometer registered 37.

But that's pretty cold so a ride was in doubt until the force of the sun on this still more than 12 hours of sunlight day popped the number up to a plenty acceptable mid-50s by shortly after noon.

It was a nice day for a ride. As I said to the bicycle mechanic who diagnosed the Mavic death squeal thing for me, I must really like this bicycle riding thing, I certainly do it a lot.

6 comments:

Retired Professor said...

Weather Underground credits us with 12 hrs, 5 min of daylight, and 13 hours, 2 min of visible light. It gets dark fast from here, though.

Jimi said...

What development at the VFW? I like big news, but am left scratching my head. Help. Me.

Gino said...

Carbone's.

For a long time our favorite, not available anywhere closer than Randolph and Wheeler for several years. A recent sign in front promised "Coming Soon".

Eat in, delivery, and carry out.

And a phone number.

Honest, we are excited.

TOPWLH said...

Carboni's!! An old time favorite and just when we became disenchanted with our usual pizza delivery place.

Emily M said...

Man, Carbone's! That's going to be excellent. I may have to start coming over for pizza night. :-)

Emily M said...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carbones-Pizza-of-Roseville-and-Shoreview/107336359313544

This page claims that they are, in fact, already open. :-)