Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Leftovers deux

Sunrise:  7:04am

Sunset:  7:03pm

*sigh*

11 hours, 59 minutes.  There is absolutely no denying it now.  The slide to the big darkness has passed the halfway mark, we are doomed.

But on a brighter note.  The ash trees in my yard are still doing fine (knock on ash wood).  But when they give up on the light they absolutely rush towards the darkness in an extremely unseemly fashion.  One minute foliage, next minute a bit yellow, first hint of really cold and kaboom, every leaf off the tree in about an hour and a half.

But we are still early in the process and the ash goes through what I think is a quite attractive yellow-green phase, quite attractive particularly when it catches the late afternoon sun. I thought the tree looked very nice today and it may not be possible to get another photo later, today seemed like the time to act. If you miss that hour and a half window later on you have only bare branches in your photo.
Also visible is some more detail on the construction project next to our house.  It appears to me, at least from what I can tell out there looking at the finished project, that excavation stayed far enough back from the backyard giant cottonwood to avoid damage to the roots.  A good thing.

Today's ride concluded with a Fairgrounds loop (Cattle barn:  61 at 2:45pm).  They are just about done over there.  This is the last or (I didn't search every square inch of the grounds) very nearly the last mounted on a trailer temporary for the Fair only food stand.

Fans of Ye Old Mill will have no difficulty pinpointing the location.
It is something, maybe ironic? that the last stand was one of our highlights of the Fair this year, one of the best pieces of food on a stick that I stuck into my mouth.

Two skewers of shrimp, four to a stick, nicely done and extremely tasty for a mere $7, cheap by Fair standards.

2 comments:

TOPWLH said...

My favorite discovery at this year's Fair. I think I bought the shrimp on a stick 3/5 visits.

Yay ash trees.

Santini said...

I agree with BB. (About the ash trees, not the shrimp.) The trees are pretty. And the light, though short, is getting low enough in the sky to make photographs interesting again.