Monday, September 17, 2012

Here's a surprise

Fall descends.

It rained over night and dawn produced temperatures around 50 with a prediction of not much improvement. It was windy and mid-50s by lunch. The sun was out and I could have . . .

But it just seemed like too big a change to try to absorb all in one big gulp. Instead I stayed in and watched the beginning of construction next door.

They are building a storm water reservoir over there. It is their land, I have no control over what they do.

But you live somewhere for 25 years and you start to think you know quite a bit about your immediate surroundings.

They dug down about three feet over there and this is what they pulled out of the hole.
I understand the categories and I do not believe that qualifies as "clean fill". I believe that is what is usually characterized as "construction debris".

My concern with the project has been disruption of what I had come to view as the natural surface and sub-surface water flow. It now appears to me that whatever it was we have had for the past 25 years it was something other than "natural".

3 comments:

Retired Professor said...

I seem to remember a similar situation when a mailbox post was replaced a while back.

TOPWLH said...

Yikes, that stuff does not look water soluable! No wonder so much water ran off into the street.

Emily M said...

That is... a lot more concrete than I assumed based on our phone conversation. Yikes.