Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Triskaidekaphobia

Rest in peace, Joe Frazier, one of the greatest of all time.

The local newspaper had as its featured front page story (albeit below the fold, well actually, the headline was above the fold, the large photo was on the fold but the story itself was definitely below the fold, front page) "Ready or Not, It's Time for Winter". The 5 1/2 x 7 (portrait) photo is of a bicyclist in a decidedly fall looking scene but is captioned: "Enjoy it while you can. With snow expected today a bicyclist gets in a last ride on a classic fall Monday . . ."

Well, first off that snow thing stayed to our south at least for today. And the bicyclist in this house (moi) got in a quite nice ride today which I suspect is not going to be my last.

So there.

There was lots of interesting snow information in the article. For example, the average date of the first inch of snow cover in the Twin Cities is November 21 (the average date of the last inch of snow cover is April 2). As perhaps mentioned a few times previously, I know what average means. I don't think we're quite done here just yet.

On the back page of the sports section local TV meteorologists Belinda and Sven have a weather forecast column. Belinda wrote today's piece and reports that once every four years (I assume she means on average once every four years) we have a snowfall of 2 inches or more in the first 15 days of November. She then goes on to point out that we have had such events in each of the past 2 years. She says such an event looks unlikely this year, at least through the 13th.

I know what average means, I expect at least a couple more rides.

It was pretty close to cold out there today, 42 at the Cattle Barn at 2:30. The storm system which threatened snow was moving in from the southwest but the winds ahead of the system were ENE. I rode north into the wind and all I could see ahead of me was mostly clear skies. The troubling part of all this was I just couldn't seem to ride out from under the overcast that covered pretty much the whole route of today's ride. And every time I looked back over my shoulder towards the southwest the grey seemed to be getting thicker. It still seemed like a fall day even if it was a cold fall day. There are still quite a few leaves and a far amount of color evident, here is a still pretty dang nice looking tree in the yard of one of my neighbors.One of my two miles from where I live neighbors.

I know Halloween is past but this just seems premature to me.I do like that the homeowner is covering all of the bases with both a religious themed display of the nativity and a distinctly secular display of Santa Claus and the reindeer.

Today was an extremely important ride for me despite what I think must be Canon 3 of the Triskaidekaphobia Concord of Understanding as formed over a series of discussions between the two primary family cyclists. I view Canon 1 as the no ride can be of 13 miles in length rule, a trip or two around the block to bring the odometer up to 14 is always, ALWAYS a good idea.

Canon 2 is that one should endeavor to always ride so that no cumulative total, monthly, yearly, miles for this bicycle, miles for this bicycle this year, NO cumulative total ends in 13. Those who are familiar with the triskaidekaphobia concord will no doubt know that I several years ago rode all of my bicycles into a state where the odometer ends in an even number and that since then each and every one of my rides is of an even number of miles. Some might say obsessive, I say just being careful. There is a zero percent possibility of any of my cumulative numbers coming up 13.

Canon 3 is that 13 as the first two digits in any cumulative total is benign, a circumstance about which one need not trouble oneself.

I began riding the Crown Jewel this year with 7,722 miles accumulated on its odometer. I recently passed 9,000 miles. I think you can all see where this is headed. And even though 1,3xx miles would be totally benign, why would you want to take a chance? With today's ride I reached 1,400 miles on this bicycle this year. In recognition of having eased the pressure and in anticipation of the snow storm which even Belinda and Sven think is VERY likely for tonight, I moved that bicycle into the basement.

Let's just hunker down here and wait to see what happens next.

3 comments:

Santini said...

Belinda and Sven? Pretty funny.

4.5 months of snow cover? It seems longer, even here.

I remember Canons 1 and 2, (and totally agree with your interpretation of them), and an quite pleased to see Canon 3 become an official -- well, Canon. The Ruby is smack in the middle of the 13,000's, and 500 more miles is not possible before the snow flies. I am quite relieved to hear that this is not a cause for worry.

It has been fun to see the yellow bike again. You do have a bike that is better suited to any rides that are still to come. I remember riding with you on a Thanksgiving weekend in Minnesota, perhaps about 10 years ago, I think.

One of your better posts. Very bikey, in a slightly obscure sort of way. Familiar fixations.

Emily M said...

Santini - The best part about Sven is his last name. Sven Sundgaard. He is super Norwegian, and also my favorite local weather man. Sven! He and his grandparents were on the Kare 11 holiday special, all wearing Norway sweaters. Awesome.

jilrubia said...

Seriously, place a red, pointy hat on that weather guy and you'd swear a garden gnome had come to life!

Seems gnomes don't know much about snowstorms today. Whew!