Thursday, November 10, 2011

Too cold

TOPWLH made the first report but I joined her at the front window and was soon able to provide the necessary second opinion. There were a few, and only a very few fluffy white things floating on the wind through our front yard this morning. It was one of the solid forms of water but this particular version of that solid was so insubstantial and so few in number that we were unable to spot any of them actually making contact with the ground. Still, as a first, it counts as a first, our first encounter with that stuff.

So it was pretty cold and pretty windy too. Bicycling was deemed unwise. That did not mean that we had no activity however. A crew under contract to the electric company showed up to take a look at the brush in our back yard and the yards of our neighbors. I had a couple of chats with the foreman and I must say that guy knew his tree species. He asked permission to whack a bunch of stuff from our yard. I have read enough power line easements in my life to know that he was just doing public relations by asking permission. There was no use in denying permission because they would just go ahead and assert their rights under the easement and whack it anyway.

I did give permission to pile the stuff in my front yard pending pick up.They have no easement rights out there.

But as I say I had had a couple of pleasant chats with the foreman. Further we had a small pile of sticks in the backyard left over from the leaf raking, stuff too big to go in the leaf pile and too big to be broken up and put in the yard refuse that our trash hauler picks up. It was awaiting a session with my Swede saw but when I saw the pile growing in the front yard I approached the foreman intending to ask him if I could put my stuff in his pile. I didn't even get a chance to make the request as he volunteered that he had seen my pile of sticks and that I could add it to his pile if I wished.

So that worked out pretty well.

It might be worth noticing that we have already had our leaf pick up and we are now working on what looks like it is going to be a pretty substantial second crop of leaves.

I did a few errands including a stop at the mall. Unlike the display from my neighbor's yard I didn't find anything at all amiss with this display at the mall. It is after all the mall.So today was too cold, I guess that means that even the playoffs are now over. Probably if I can just maybe get in another ride or two talking about those rides will be just talking about practice.

3 comments:

Retired Professor said...

Talking to workmen can fill up your day. Sounds like you came out okay in the deal.

What? Playoffs are over already?

TOPWLH said...

The first video is pretty funny, but the second one is hysterical. And kind of sweet. Usually over-serious coach and athlete breaking out in spontaneous laughter. I love it.

Emily M said...

Seriously, it's just practice... :-) I really like those videos.

That is an impressive pile of sticks. I am glad they were also able to accommodate your more modest pile.