Sunday, November 27, 2011

Crazy barley

I concur that the translation offered by the French guide when she first visited Fort Folle Avoine was "barley". My google translate page translates avoine from French to English as oats and translates wild oats from English to French as folle avoine. I think oats is a reasonable conclusion to reach.

However

It is my personal belief that "barley" makes a better story. I think it might be quite reasonable to adopt a corollary to the family rule and decide that there is no need to ruin a good story for the sake of google translation.Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Nice bench, no?

4 comments:

Santini said...

Most excellent bench.

Crazy oats, crazy barley. I just like the sound of crazy barley, myself. It was the first translation that I remember hearing. It had a certain... je ne sais quoi.

Emily M said...

That IS a nice bench. And I believe when I looked it up at the time, Google translated "avoine" as barley. My French-English dictionary says oats as well, so apparently Google has updated their program in the intervening time?

Barley is more fun - let's just go with that. :-)

Jimi said...

Nice bench, yes.

I'm staying out of the wild rice controversy. I know it goes well in turkey stuffing.

Santini said...

When I googled folle avoine, I got the address for a restaurant in Paris.

91 Rue Grenelle 75007 Paris, France
01 45 51 02 59