Monday, November 14, 2011

Sheldon Street

If it's a bicycle blog, and it is, any day when I can ride my bicycle is a good day. If it is mid-November, and it is, any day with 50 degree temperatures and clear bright blue sky is a good day.

So today was a good day.

I was riding towards the route that I take into a west wind (which it was, and quite strong at that) when I passed through Sheldon Street. I have noted Sheldon Street other years, it is the street on which all of the boulevard trees are oaks. The oak tree stretch is two blocks long, one block west of Hamline and extending one block north and one block south from Arlington. It was way pretty on Sheldon Street today. First up is the look from the north end, facing south into the sun.I love the light through the leaves. That seemed very pretty but when I got to the south end I was torn by indecision. Here is the view looking north with the sun at my back.They are both very pretty.

I rode over into Minneapolis. Here is the intersection of Franklin Avenue and West River Parkway. A 61 year old bicyclist was the victim of a hit and run pick up truck driver at this intersection on Saturday.I was just standing there holding my bicycle, wondering exactly how and exactly where when first one and then another bicyclist each sharing my gender and age grouping stopped and among the three of us we hashed out all the details that any of us knew.

There is a marked bike lane. This spot is quite close to the University which means that there is a fairly high number of bicyclists about, awareness should be good. Something went wrong.

The pick up driver turned himself in later. At some point we will get to hear at least his version of how and why.

I posted a photo last week of the brush pile thinking it was pretty impressive. Little did I know that those brush wacking guys were just getting started. I think they are done now but they had a brush wacking good time behind my house.The foreman of the crew likes to collect what he considers to be oddly shaped pieces of the trees that he chain saws. He showed me a piece that he collected from the trimming behind my house. I was able to inform him that what he was collecting were "school marms".

I have taken a look at the log and have discovered that this year's total mileage has surpassed 2008. Here I was thinking that this must be the least miles ever and instead I am already out of last place. Further, even a single additional ride will move me past 2006 and passing 2007 is not out of the question. Of course, I did have a job all of those years.

3 comments:

Santini said...

They're both worthy. I like the top one best. Maybe because shooting into the sun isn't something you can do much of the year?

The truck driver will say it was biker error. They always say that.

I might move out of last place, too. I am quite excited about it. I have further to go than you do, but I also have Florida in my future before the end of the calendar year. Anyway, good job. Out of the cellar is good!

Emily M said...

That is an extremely impressive pile of sticks. I am interested to see how the look of the back yard has changed, now that all of those sticks are piled in the front yard instead of being part of the trees. Must be weird.

Mrs. Smith said...

Did you notice there are actually two impressive piles of sticks? The backyard looks a bit tidier.