Friday, November 18, 2011

Bonus miles

The snow isn't forecast to arrive until tonight or perhaps even tomorrow. The sun was out, temperatures were back to the November norm for this year above average, the winds were pretty much calmed. I checked the radar and the magenta stuff was all still off to the north and west so I went ahead and rode my bicycle.

The sun lasted until, oh, about the end of the driveway. The forbiddingly grey northwestern quadrant of the sky kept sagging in my direction and the blue of the southwest kept retreating. Even more than the last time, this ride felt like the last one.

I wanted to visit one group of old friends at least once more before they are moved outside of the distance that I can comfortably travel without my car. Here is a LOOK at one of the cows.Here's a pretty good look at what the sky had to offer.41 at the Cattle Barn at 1:09pm. Middle of the day. 41. November.

As I neared home I spotted this at about that distance from my front tire.I was at speed so I had to circle back and do a little searching to confirm the fleeting look I had the first time by. The memory is very fresh and raw in my mind of the flat tire fiasco day from earlier this month. I just wanted to be sure I had seen what I thought I had seen. Then I wanted to shudder and think ever so briefly about how close I had just come to doing it all over again.

I did what any responsible bicyclist would do, I bent over and picked up the nail and disposed of it properly.

4,110 miles for the year as of today, 102.75% of the annual goal. Anyone exceeding the goal by more than 2.5% is entitled to bonus miles.

3 comments:

TOPWLH said...

I love the Look at one of the cows!
It was a nice November day and a lazy one for me that included finishing a book and some good hockey. Hockey! Go women Gophers.

Santini said...

I'll miss the cows. You had a pretty good dairy theme going there for a while, between the cows and the cattle barn.

Good citizenship noted and approved.

Emily M said...

Ah, I do love the cows. And that's a new perspective, I think.

Well done on picking up the nail, and even noticing it in the first place.