Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Big iron tower, big metal sculpture, big stone church

We finally went over and stood underneath the big iron tower. This year we had no intention of going up the tower. I have been here twice when I intended to go up the tower and did. The weather was pretty dicey both times, overcast and extremely windy. Obviously today was sunny and clear.The thing about the big iron tower is that even though it is extremely familiar to all of us, a thing whose image we have all seen at least hundreds of times in still photography and movies, the thing is that even though you have seen it probably thousands of times, let me assure you that you just cannot comprehend the scale of that thing until you stand underneath it, inside the perimeter of the four corner towers.

I keep trying but pictures absolutely do not do it justice.A few puny humans for scale against just one of the four corner towers.It was a shortish walk from there to the Rodin Museum.

There were no really pedantic persons around when we viewed this sculpture.Of course, Carla Bruni was also not present.

Here is the pool at the end of the garden with another one of those big old stone churches in the background.Open circuit to Wireless: This looks for all the world like two gas pumps just parked on the side of the street with no gas station anywhere around. Comments?I haven't really shown this view before. We are here every day and don't have to go out to the square in front of the big stone church when all of the other tourists are here so we don't. But today I was out there at pretty much peak attendance and got what I think is a fairly representative photo of the daily mob scene, including a tourist bus turning the street corner at the corner of the church.One last look on a sunny day at our neighbor for the past two weeks, the big stone church.And sunset in Paris.

4 comments:

jilrubia said...

OK, you did pretty well depicting the scale of the thing with the photo of one of the corners. I had no idea it was that freaky big! Thanks for sharing all of your adventures.

This week, The Late Late Show is in Paris. You all are killing me!! Mr. jilrubia says he won't be surprised when he comes home to a note that says I've gone to Paris.

Santini said...

If indeed I ever get to Paris, those are the things that will have drawn me there. The big stone church, the Rodin sculpture, and that freaky big tower thing.

Good job.

Mrs. Smith said...

A sunset in Paris picture! Thanks and see you soon.

anon said...

I like the "Midnight in Paris" reference.