Monday, August 8, 2011

40 percent chance

Here is what a 40 percent chance of precipitation means to me:

There is about a 100 percent chance that I am going to try to ride. Unless of course the 40 percent has achieved 100 percent chance by producing actual rain at the time when I usually want to start a ride.

There is about a 60 percent chance that I am going to ride loops which keep me from ever getting more than about a half hour's ride from home. What this meant today was a loop to the east (Lauderdale to the Minneapolis city limits), a loop to the south (over to Como and around Langford Park), a loop to the west (Wheelock Parkway over to the point where it descends the hill to Rice), and a loop to the north (Roseville library). In the end it didn't rain at all.

It is nice out right now but it was mostly cloudy (see above 40 percent chance reference) while I was riding. The sun came out briefly and I circled back a half block for this picture. The sun went away again as I lined up the shot.

There are some more of those cardinal flowers in there but what really attracted my attention was those purple things.My sleep pattern continues its progression back to normal. In the meantime the bicycling seems way, way harder than it should be. An out of time sync body is no ally in a plan of vigorous daily exercise.

2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

The purple flowers are nice, but I do so love those cardinal flowers. Wish we had some here.

Daughter of Norway said...

Those are blazing stars--or liatris pycnostachia. Or, if you use the older common name, "gay feather". Butterfly magnets they are, those gay feathers!

I told my French roommate today about you and my dad going to Paris. He was impressed!