Sunday, March 14, 2010

A stunning rebuke

Today is the first day of daylight saving time and the mid-afternoon temperature is reported to be 63. I rode my bike.

I still have the remains of a tan line on my thighs which allowed me to position the bicycle shorts at the proper level. The line is faint and indistinct but it is still there. So that part went OK. The rest wasn't quite so OK.

I have convinced myself that I have been more active this winter than in winters past and maybe I have. If I have though, the incremental increase in activity is very small. Today's ride was a stunning rebuke of any notion I may have had that I had retained even a shred of fitness. Hard, hard, hard. Did I mention wind and hills? Hard, hard, hard. This appears certain to be another one of those things that is just going to be a little bit harder every year.

But I did it, I rode my bicycle. Let the season begin.

I have been informed by official mailing from the city that a new 8 foot wide bituminous path will be constructed this year along the east side of Fairview Avenue between County Road B and Larpenteur. Here is the portion of said east side of Fairview at the corn field (which most assuredly is between County Road B and Larpenteur (today's bicycle of choice for scale).That's a pretty steep slope there. There is a meeting next week. I have plenty of time, perhaps I will attend and find out just exactly what their plans are at this spot.

2 comments:

Santini said...

Congratulations on getting out on your Cross bike. First day of DST, that should make it easy to remember when the season began.

Emily M said...

Yay for biking! If it makes you feel any better, I know of one other person who went biking today and he also reports a shocking lack of fitness retention, relatively speaking. You are not alone.

Still, looks like fun. I need the streets to be cleaner (and less full of potholes) before I take my bike out. I am also lacking a bit in the gear department.