Sunday, March 28, 2010

Ice out on Josephine

Here is today's harbinger of spring: ice out on Lake Josephine.Just as I thought, a sunny day and a strong wind provided the recipe for removing the ice. Today featured a strong wind from the northwest. The photo was taken facing northwest, there is a small pile up of ice chips just out of photo left, at the southeast corner of the lake. Ice out means no more rides into strong winds blowing across ice covered lakes. This is good.

Another harbinger is the advance of street sweeping. I think all of the local streets that I regularly ride on have now been swept. All that remains are the county and state highways and some of them have recently been cleaned. Cleveland and Fairview have been swept. I am not sure about Snelling as I do not ride on Snelling. However, from the vantage point of the Snelling service drive, which I do ride on, and which has been swept, it looks like Snelling has been swept. Hamline and Lexington have most emphatically NOT been swept. All of my northern rides require some time on Hamline, I will be on the spring bicycle until the sweeping is done.

Is it obvious that I am starting to get a tiny bit itchy to try out the new bicycle?

It was cold and windy again today and as previously noted, riding in the cold is extremely hard. Fitness is slow to gain a foothold but today, for the first time I started to feel as though some of the strength is starting to return. Endurance has yet to make an appearance.

It was hard, it was fun. I love my bicycle(s).

2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

The hard work will pay off ... it just takes a little more work, a little more time each year.

LOOKing forward to news of miles ridden on the new bike.

Emily M said...

Oooh, I am also excited for you to try out the new bicycle.

Speaking of street sweeping - they are banning parking on the street in front of my house tomorrow. I assume this means that the street sweepers will be by. Yay! That means biking is definitely in the cards for Wednesday or Thursday when it is going to be 70+! Perfect timing.