Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Pasty white skin

The strong winds from the south continue to blow. If this is what it takes for spring to get here I guess I am OK with it. It certainly makes riding a bicycle a chore.

But, 70.

I pulled my bike shorts up to the indistinct but still present line on my thighs and dragged my pasty white skin out into public for the first time this season.This photo was actually taken at the end of the ride. TOPWLH was not available at the start of the ride but for some reason she was hanging around when I got home. She has a job so her presence is not always possible at times when I might want a photo opportunity. Bother.

The pasty white skin came home with just a touch of color and a once again fairly distinct line. Riding with uncovered thighs gave me intermittent opportunities to watch them work. I see possibilities of definition there but I also see a long ways to go.

South wind, south ride, but first I made again that small detour north up to the Hamline portal zone. Still no sweeping.

I rode over to the farm campus. This is about the fourth time I have visited the cows this spring and every previous time there were people already either photographing their BF, GF or children. This time I was the first one there.Here's the NewLOOK nuzzling up to the most completely pronated cow, I have no idea if they were actually communicating. I suspect not.Anyone want to guess what that green stripe on this ash tree means?This and a double row of boulevard ash trees line a street upon which one of the ash trees was found last fall to be infected. All of the ash trees now bear this stripe.

In other emerald ash borer news I rode within a block of Ground Zero for ash borer, the place in South Saint Anthony where it was first discovered. There are brand new ash stumps there too. As Kurt Vonnegut says in Slaugterhouse Five, "So it goes, so it was meant to go".

5 comments:

Santini said...

Lots of nice photos of the new bike. I like it. It looks more like a graphite gray than black? The tube graphics are cool -- is that an orange stripe under the word LOOK? Did you notice that your saddle color matches your handlebar tape color?

Cows!

And so it goes.

Anonymous said...

Fish got to swim, bird got to fly, man got to sit and wonder why, why, why. "Cat's Cradle"

TT

Unknown said...

I am the victim of a series of accidents, as are we all. (Also quoting Kurt Vonnegut... and some ash trees.)

TOPWLH said...

It is too late in the day to come up with a Vonnegut quote (in homage to the 2 above). I was driving by the cows this afternoon, wondering when you would photograph them. Today was the right day for it. Nice pictures.

Emily M said...

Yay for the cows! I was looking forward to their first appearance of the year. :-)

That is quite a nice bike. I'll be taking mine out today for the first time this year. There may be photo opportunities involved.