Thursday, March 18, 2010

March madness

A search of the blogosphere would almost certainly reveal that the title I have chosen for today's post is an extremely common title for today's postings. Nearly every one of those posts, however, is a paean to the college basketball thingy that has suddenly totally usurped any other programming on CBS. I have no job, which means that I myself had a couple of minutes to watch part of a basketball game earlier today. The participants represented Villanova and something called Robert Morris. Actually that is a cheap shot at Robert Morris, I know all about Robert Morris. They have women's hockey at Robert Morris and they played at Ridder Arena last year.

So anyway, the real March madness where I live is the continued refusal of mid-March to act like anything other than mid-April. Today was yet again upper 50s and sunny. What's not to like about that? I missed a bunch of apparently really important basketball and rode my bicycle.

Today's ride sets the new standard for farthest north ridden so far this year as I edged just to the north of the Shoreview water tower. I stopped at Island Lake Park. I almost never stop there for a couple of reasons. One, it is on the left side of a pretty busy street on the outward leg of most of my northern rides. The requirement crossing busy automobile traffic to enjoy that park moves it a bit down the list of things I yearn to do. Two, most of my northern rides are going to tour Snail, Sucker and Vadnais Lakes and perhaps a couple of others as well. Considering the traffic and considering where I am usually headed, Island Lake just doesn't fit in to my ride plans very often. Today, however, Island Lake made a fine destination and a turn around point.There is some open water visible at the shoreline and a close examination will reveal that the ice nearest in is looking to be quite a bit past its prime. If the weather continues in its current pattern that ice won't last long. Fortunately for the ice and for those longing for average, weather forecasts predict the return of March beginning possibly as soon as tomorrow.

For today though, I was happy to enjoy mid-April at least this one more time.

3 comments:

Retired Professor said...

Cold and snow will return, but it will be temporary.

The non-retired professor said...

I have this feeling (foolish hope?) that it will not return this year, but time will tell.
Mid-May is what I am most excited about. The French Open!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.