Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Not a fluke

It was nice enough today and I decided I wanted to ride to Vadnais again. The main reason was that I bungled the photo yesterday and I wanted to have a picture of ice covered Vadnais. This is the north end of the lake, the open water is where the creek flows into the lake.There is ice but as noted by the sign it is, well, read the sign.

The second reason for riding out there was to convince myself that riding that far this early in the year was, well, see post title.

The wind shifted from NNW to W and increased a fair amount in velocity during the ride. This ride is north out into the wind but it also has a pretty strong east component. With the change in conditions I ended up riding back into a much freshened breeze and ended up never getting the assist of having a strong tail wind.

It was amazingly difficult.

2 comments:

Santini said...

I hate those wind shifts.

A wind over ice is cold. I may have said that before.

Twice to Vadnais in two days is impressive. I took a rest day. Maybe two. This spring stuff is hard.

Emily M said...

Excellent photo - I like the half melted ice on the lake. Although, as GFR notes, I bet it does generate a cold wind.

I'm still waiting on the street sweepers to start my biking season. Soon, I hope.