Monday, March 1, 2010

Hooray, hooray, the first of . . . March?

It has been quite a sedentary last 17 days. It is a little hard to dig my favorite Olympic moments out of all of that but I think I would go with three: Lindsey Vonn in her overpowering victory in the downhill, Bode Miller just getting a gold medal, any gold medal (actually in the Super Combined, I don't know much about that except that it is super and it is combined), and the transcendent performance by Kim Yu-na in my pretty much second or so least favorite sport, ladies figure skating.

But today I attempted to rejoin the living and got out of the house for long enough for a two mile walk. Here is an early, early look at the corn field.It was a two mile walk, a loop. There was one unavoidable puddle on the way out and on the way back two such puddles plus a spot where a spruce tree shades the street and where ice was still present and fairly substantial. Still there was a lot of dry pavement out there and I could easily see cobbling together a two mile out and back bicycle ride on dry pavement.

Except that is, for this, by far the worst obstacle still standing between me and my bicycle.The Daily Photo Blog theme for this first of the month theme day is passageways. Many observers will recognize this passsageway as the end of my driveway.

Still, according to my bike log for last year I first rode on March 15 (at a time when I still had a job!) and managed 126 miles for the month of March. Daylight savings time BEGINS this year on March 14, bicycling is never very far behind.

So, hooray, hooray, the first of March. Let's get this thing rolling.

2 comments:

Santini said...

I might suggest that you could pick your bicycle up and carry it to the end of the driveway/passageway. Except for that part about the ice 'still present and fairly substantial.'

TOPWLH said...

Very nice post and great picture of the corn field. I look forward to a snowless field. I would add the gold medal men's hockey game to my highlights. Oh, Canada.