Sunday, November 18, 2007

Very cold day for biking

I think today was as cold a day as any when I have ridden for at least a couple of years. It was cold. I changed the hand coverage from yesterday but my fingers still got cold. My trunk never warmed up, I was always cold. I was warm enough to not be uncomfortable, but I was always cold.

I rode over to the Cathedral and as I passed the James J. Hill Mansion I noticed that the driveway gate was open. The house is owned and operated as an admission required museum by the Historical Society so the gate is always closed and locked. I seized today's opportunity to duck through the gate to get a picture.The house was built for James J. Hill, the Empire Builder, the founder of Great Northern. The house was completed in 1891, constructed of reddish Massachussetts sandstone. It appears much darker due to the effects of over a century of accumulated air pollution. The Hill house is still the largest private residence in the city.

It was very grey and cold but I never even thought about the conditions that suddenly appeared as I rode into the driveway. I was startled when stuff started to hit my jacket, my absolute first indication of rain. It ended up being real rain. It eventually rained enough to completely wet the street, real rain, not just sprinkles. So it wasn't cold enough to snow but if I had gotten myself caught out in a rainstorm it would have been a considerably more miserable ride.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Over by the Cathedral, eh? Some really nice old houses over there. I am a fan of J.J. Hill, as I met TOPWLH while we both were working for the Great Northern.

Empire builder, indeed. The train I photographed a week or so ago had the old Great Northern colors on it... BNSF now, I think.

Some rides just feel cold, and riding in the cold is just harder than the same ride when it is warm. I don't know why, but it is. Still, it beats not riding. So good job. SS

Anonymous said...

It was a pretty miserable day for biking, but at least it didn't snow. JJ Hill house is pretty close to me. You can always come here if the rain gets too hard.

It's a pretty impressive house, but Mr Hill was Bill Gates in his time, or maybe Warren Buffett.
TT