Tuesday, November 6, 2007

No blues

I think the high for today is going to be 33 but at least no sleet. It is dark and dreary with a cold wind blowing. It feels like November.

This morning I considered myself to be still not well enough for work but by this afternoon I felt like I should try to venture out to vote. I walked across the field to the community center and exercised my franchise. It was a quiet election day in my town as the only contests on the ballot were for seats on the school board.

Having voted only for one despite the option of voting for up to three I then walked to the grocery store hoping to procure bananas. They had only extremely green and hard bananas, I passed. I checked the blueberries. The price for 125 grams (about 4.4 ounces) has newly risen to $5.99. I passed. The raspberries were on sale. I got raspberries.

In French football homestanding Sedan defeated Le Havre 2-1. Le Havre stumbles in its best chance to date to acquire outright possession of first place. The team from Normandy sustains only its second loss of the season, the last team in Ligue 2 to be so burdened. Nantes retains its what had become tenuous grasp on first place in the table. After today's completion of the 15th round of 38, the Canaries stand in first place by 2 over Le Havre and clear of 4th place and thus in the promotion zone by 8 points. Nantes and Le Havre are now even on goal differential. I am going to have to find out what the second tie breaker is. I wonder if it might be away goals.

For any number geeks who might be reading along, 11,946 was the announced crowd in Sedan. That is now the 12th highest attendance of the year in Ligue 2 and Sedan now has 4 of the top 12 crowds (numbers 8, 9, 10 and 12). Also, prior to the game the Sedan average attendance was only 3 behind Le Havre for second place in the league. This crowd will raise the average by about 200 making Sedan now the second highest average attendance in Ligue 2. I note that Sedan would stand 18th in Ligue 1 with this average attendance. 18th is, of course, in the relegation zone and Sedan would be facing relegation. Sedan, Troyes and Nantes are the teams that were relegated at the end of the 2006-2007 season. Sedan looks to be where they belong. Nantes belongs in Ligue 1.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're feeling a bit better. Sad about the blues, but at $5.99, passing them up was a good call.

Number geeks? I'll admit to having a friendly relationship with numbers. Nantes looks promising to be elevated to Ligue 1, though I expect it ain't over til its over.