Saturday, November 3, 2007

Brrrr

I joined the rush to ride in temperatures in the 30s today. Somewhat surprisingly, it wasn't too bad.

I wanted to ride this morning so I could watch a webstream of the Minnesota-Wisconsin women's hockey game this afternoon. I had to head out at about 10:30 in order to be back in time for the opening face-off. The temperature when I headed out the door was still only 36. I donned pretty much the full winter costume including mittens and booties. The sun was out, I wasn't cold, it was a pretty nice ride.

I often ride all or nearly all of the daily mileage without seeing anything that strikes me as being worthy of being photographed. Today I didn't even get turn the pedals a single time before the camera came out. This is the field next to our house. All of the grain must have been gleaned from the nearby fields as the geese have returned to their mid-summer dietary choice, grass.I think this is the most geese I have seen on the field in at least a couple of years.

Then about six miles into the ride I came upon unmistakable evidence of what comes next.Langford Park hosts two outdoor hockey rinks during the winter. The boards have gone up. Winter draws nigh.

By the way, Minnesota 3, Wisconsin 2.

And in France, Le Havre AC 2:1 Guingamp as the pursuers from Normandy draw back to within two points of FC Nantes. Nantes is next in action on Monday when the Canaries travel to Boulogne.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is obvious there (and here) that winter is just about to pounce. But in the meantime, it is still possible to get out and view the changing landscape on two wheels. I would so hate to miss this -- I rode for about half a mile today with the unmistakable smell of cloves in the air. No clue as to what it was.

Nice gaggle of geese. I assume no hunting is allowed on your field.

Anonymous said...

I think it was you that pointed out that 30's in the fall is a different deal entirely than 30's in the spring. The ground is still warm, and the wind comes across warm land. It tends to be a drier cold as well. So I think I'm willing to ride in colder temperatures in the fall than in the spring. Or it just may be my reluctance to give up biking for the season. SS