Thursday, November 15, 2007

I am a bike geek

Winter approaches and temperatures fall. Each trip out the door of the house requires an assessment of gear, what do I need to wear to keep from getting cold?

For me, first comes the vest, usually in mid-September. The coverup continues through light jacket, heavier jacket, heavier jacket with some kind of hand cover, pretty soon maybe a hat, serious hand cover, and so on eventually to mid-winter gear of scarf, heavy winter coat, full down mittens, head cover appropriate for wind and temperatures of the specific day.

Right now I am at the final stages of heavier jacket (fleece) and serious handcover. Today was a bit colder and I went to FC Nantes scarf, winter jacket but without the heavy liner installed yet, hat and gloves. I deemed it cold enough for serious gloves but not quite cold enough to require mittens.

So what passed for serious gloves?

Well, I have a nice pair of Specialized Sub-Zero full finger bicycle gloves, complete with ulnar nerve pad, that I am not using for biking any more. They make fine driving gloves (and at the same time shield me from the dangers of ulnar neuropathy).

My name is Gino and I am a bike geek.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen those gloves -- the ones I wear for serious cold are warm but bulky Pearl Izumi full fingered bike gloves. The scarf was interesting -- I've never worn one on a bike. I do use a head band around my neck that I can pull up over my face mask -- it may function about the same.

Sounds like you still have another layer possible. Good bikey post. SS

Anonymous said...

So, what ARE you wearing for serious gloves? SS