Saturday, November 24, 2007

Une qualification sans conviction

It might have been possible to ride this afternoon. It was above freezing and the wind which later howled a bit had not yet started to blow. But I had a hockey game to go to and bicycling just did not fit into the schedule. It is just as well as it was very, very marginally acceptable conditions for riding. It might have been possible but I suspect it would not have been a very pleasant ride.

No biking today.

A crowd of over 11,000 assembled in Stade de la Beaujoire this past evening for Vertou-Nantes. The final was 2-0 for Nantes. Despite the victory the Nantes side was taking no particular joy. The consensus reaction was that the Vertou side had played more inspired football than the Nantais and deserved to at least have scored. However, after a scoreless first half, as headlined on the Nantes website, Thomas Dossevi "sauve la mise", saved the day with goals in the 49th and 56th minutes to seal the Nantes victory. Avec panache, Vertou tentait bien de revenir, with panache, Vertou tried well to get back into the game but could not. Nantes does not take joy in the way that they played but they do achieve the most important objective, advancement to the next round.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure I could have ridden yesterday, if the schedule had been a little different. But having proved to myself and others that there are things more important in my life than my bike (as if), I can return to my favorite obsession as soon as the weather allows. Maybe today.

Good turnout for the game. I was secretly rooting for Vertou, perhaps not to win, but to do well. And it sounds like maybe they did, in a sense. Nante needs to do better if they are going to continue on, I suppose. My only objective for them is that they get returned to Ligue 1.