Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Salt residue

I am not sure when this happened because I think I have been watching but today there was a white film along the edge of the entrance ramp of the freeway and then the same white between the drive lanes, clear evidence that that section of roadway has been salted. I know it has been cold enough but it has not really snowed and that first application of salt to the roads usually occurs contemporaneously with the first snow fall. Just being cold isn't enough as you also need moisture to produce poor traction requiring melting and I just do not recall that having occurred this year. But the salt residue was unmistakable. This is actually a bicycle post as the first application of salt is a sign certain that the season is over. I do not wish to expose my nice bike to potent corrosive chemicals so I usually bring it inside when salt appears on the streets. I am uncertain at this moment and it seems likely that the weather will make the decision for me before I have to do much worrying but the evidence is mounting that the bicycle season is over.

I have that "Gullible Info" widget over there on the side of my page and this is what I found on it when I logged on today:

"The Battle Creek Enquirer published the prior week's lottery numbers on February 15 2007, causing Michigander Bret Nelson to throw away what is believed to be the winning $17 million ticket."

Is this really true? Or am I just really gullible?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A report on riding conditions definitely counts as bicycle post. Salt is probably not good for bicycles, at least not nice bicycles. No salt on our roads yet, but it isn't looking good for the near future. A couple more days, maybe.

I have not heard anything about the Battle Creek lottery story, but then I wasn't in Michigan in February.