Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Still hot, three bottle ride

It was hot again today, so hot that a air quality alert was issued. The alert indicated the possibility of poor air quality as a result of ozone. Ozone occurs in heavily populated areas (read car exhaust) when you get a stagnant, hot air mass. We have all of those things. The alert said to curtail exercise.

But being as I work at an environmental agency I have the other environmental agency website bookmarked. I checked the live air quality index before heading out to ride. The live index indicated an actual ozone level of 71 where 100 is the number which actually triggers the air quality warning. So the air was OK.

But it was hot. Today was the first three bottle ride. I emptied two water bottles and was still a long ways from home. The playgrounds are all open now and I watched two or three hitters in a coach pitch little league game while refilling one bottle at Desnoyer Park and then rode on home.

This is the turn around point for today's ride. This is on the river road, a bench on top of the bluff overloooking the gorge below the dam.I think that might be the dog park across the way.

It was hot when I started but that was probably the moment of the day's peak temperature. It cooled enough while I was riding that I am prepared to say that it was actually pretty pleasant by the time I got home.

Three bottles, a nice ride.

2 comments:

Jimi said...

How far down the river road is this? It could be Pike Island across the water.

Good idea to look up the actual ozone level. Do you have a link to the site?

Santini said...

So ozone action days are declared because the ozone is forecast to be high, not because it is high? Interesting. It was 86 when I got back from my ride -- seemed too hot.