Sunday, June 3, 2007

I have mysterious magical powers

The power that has been discussed here previously is that I can make it rain.

I do not at this moment recall at what point it started to rain but it rained most of the night and was still raining when I got up this morning. However, by the time the other person who lives here, OK, my wife got up at 9am it was not raining.

It contined to not rain despite the weather sites predicting up to a 70 percent probability of showers, possibly thunderstorms, possibly severe. By shortly after noon I found myself out in the driveway examining the sky. I must admit it looked pretty threatening, particularly to the northeast, the direction from which this round of bad weather was approaching.

But without much else to do I kept checking the weather on the web and by about 2pm it seemed to me that the approaching storm was in two parts, one of which looked to be headed to the west of Roseville, the other looking like it might pass to the east. I went out to the driveway again and an intense examination of the sky gave me enough confirmation of my suspicion to convince me to gear up and give it a try.

Once on my bike I had to make about eight trips around the cul-de-sac to convince myself but finally I was started down the street. At 2.3 miles from home my power manifested itself. It was not actually rain at that moment but there was a definite change in the atmosphere and I turned without hesitation and started a sprint for home.

I took the most direct route rather than the circuitous route I had taken to arrive at that turning point and at 4.22 miles I made it to my garage door, but just barely. It was sprinkling as I raced down the street and shortly after I had admitted myself to the garage the driveway was officially wet. Once again all I had to do was get on my bike and get across Snelling Avenue and I had made it rain.

It was at this point that my new power emerged. Apparently I can sometimes sprint into my garage and make the rain stop. I was in the house long enough to eat a banana. The rain was stopped and it was looking to be dry again shortly.Well, what the heck? Out I went again. I rode although there were at least two more moments when it didn't seem like a good idea. This photo is of one of those moments when the uber threatening sky over another one of the university agricultural experiment fields had once again caused me to break off my route and sprint for home. I think they experiment with turf management on this field, no corn.

But it did not rain again. I got in a full ride, eventually turning the odometer all the way to the currently prescribed distance. The weekend was a success, not a total success as it passed without a long ride I like to complete each weekend. But today's ride is one that I will be glad to have in the log on numerous occasions later this year.

To recap, I can make it rain by heading out into threatening weather. Today I discovered how to make the rain stop by riding back into my garage. Mysterious magical powers.

Alice says that today in France is la Fête des Mères, Mother's Day.

We have received e-mail from the world traveller. She has arrived safely in Frankfurt.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that is scary to contemplate -- please use your magical powers for good. But you did get in a ride, so all of the dashing around was worth it, right? A benefit of retirement is that I have all day to find that window of opportunity where a ride is possible. It's a heck of a bonus, I must say. I hope Emily's trip to Frankfurt is going well, and she has some opportunity for fun as well as work. Santini

Jimi said...

That sky looks very familiar. At least you made a try at riding.

Emily said...

She has also tried to comment on your blog, with limited success.

Mom, the dealer from Istanbul sends his regards.

:)