Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Hot redux

It was 90 before I left work, hotter than yesterday. So I was a little trepidatious about a ride. I decided it would be OK as long as I kept it relatively short and as long as I didn't race any idiots.

So I stayed completely away from the two places where I regularly encounter people who want to race, the River Road and Summit. I had a nice ride complete with a little climb off the bike and sit down break. It was actually pretty nice. The humidity was low and the wind was cooling instead of overheating.

This is the site of the sit down, Langford Park.Langford may be the only park in town where you would have a blow down branch which the locals would strip the bark off before the maintenance crews can get out to remove the brush. There are lots of former hippies in the neighborhood, also lots of self-styled artists and tree hugging craftspeople, a higher percentage than in most neighbornoods. I hasten to add there are also lots of solid citizens, it is a nice neighborhood. But it is definitely the kind of neighborhood where someone would make the effort to strip the bark but not make the effort to remove the fallen branch. I must admit that it does look striking. It caught my attention from half a park away and drew me to the shade of those trees for my sit down.

2 comments:

Jimi said...

Why do they strip the bark off the branch? It seems like odd behavior.

Anonymous said...

It makes for an interesting photo, though. I suppose it could be used in some kind of craft, or maybe for medicinal purposes, or perhaps they smoke it. Old hippies? Isn't that us? ~ SS
(Probably not.) I was at Meijers when my car said 90. Definitely too hot to bike. Retirement rocks.